The Director, Engineering, reporting to the SVP, Product and Technology, will manage technical teams that design, code, test, document and support the company’s big data products and will manage security initiatives in the engineering department. The role will interface with other technical and functional directors in areas such as product management, InfoSec and database operations. The candidate must be comfortable working in a matrix organization.
- Develop products and services as defined by the product management group. In doing so, the Director will be responsible for meeting critical time lines and budget requirements.
- Manage team of Software Engineers and Data Engineers engaged in design, coding and documentation of new big data product implementations.
- Develop, maintain and lead a dynamic software development team with the ability to gain and continually maintain credibility with the organization.
- Provide input for the ongoing development of the company’s big data infrastructure.
- Implement data security policies as they relate to the design of software products. In the process, work closely with InfoSec team and serve as a single Point-of-Contact for Engineering to address security related issues on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure adequate instrumentation of software products to ensure compliance with contractual service level agreements, monitor the performance of these products and make the necessary modifications to correct any performance deficiencies.
- Direct the analysis and resolution of problems associated with day to day operation of the company’s big data products.
- Direct implementation projects of new customer interfaces.
- Direct evaluation of and selection of software development tools.
- Support security audits by external vendors at the request of our customers.
- Formulate and manage the financial and operating plans required to meet development objectives and manage the organization while remaining within budget.
- Recruit software development staff. Train employees on software development methodology, security procedures, documentation standards, coding standards and proper utilization of company resources including sensitive data. Conduct regular employee reviews as appropriate.
The Director, Engineering must be able to work independently on complex software problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. He/she must be able to exercise good judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criterion for obtaining results. He/she must be able to determine the need for procedures, practices, tools and initiate efforts to acquire. He/she will provide technical leadership and mentoring needed to increase the skills and knowledge of the team. He/she will frequently be present at business reviews and presentations. He/she manages and reviews their own work and product of the group. He/she represents the organization on specific projects/teams, externally at conferences, and with clients.
- Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of experience in software development management. MS or PhD preferred.
- 15 years of experience in software development.
- Strong understanding of security technologies such as encryption, key management, data protection, and access management etc.
- Understanding of cloud infrastructure (e.g., AWS/ Azure) and cloud security.
- Demonstrated and verifiable track record in building and successfully managing big data development teams.
- This role requires a dynamic individual who has the interpersonal and communication skills needed to engage both technical and business executives. This leader must be detailed orientated and organized. Behaviorally, this person must be a realistic forward thinking, aggressive, can-do manager who can build an efficient, cost effective software development team.
- Must have experience managing and leading mid-size to large, elite and fast-moving software development teams.
- Experience with the budgeting of a development organization and the hiring of high caliber software engineering and data engineering personnel.
- Strong project orientation, attention to detail and a commitment to quality and delivery are critical.
- Strong communications skills required, including the ability to present to and interface well with employees, customers and prospective clients.
- Requires organizational and project management skills and ability to set and manage multiple priorities, as well as evaluate complex project tradeoffs.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to protect all forms of highly confidential and proprietary business information and ability to maintain the highest standards of privacy and security.
- Ability to follow and abide by all information and security policies and practices.